Current:Home > StocksNorwegian mass killer begins second attempt to sue state for alleged breach of human rights -WealthRoots Academy
Norwegian mass killer begins second attempt to sue state for alleged breach of human rights
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:22:55
STAVANGER, Norway (AP) — Norwegian right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 77 people in a bombing and shooting rampage in 2011, launched his second attempt at suing the state on Monday, accusing the Justice Ministry of breaching his human rights.
Breivik, who has changed his name to Fjotolf Hansen, claims that the isolation he’s been placed under since he started serving his prison sentence in 2012 amounts to inhumane punishment under the European Convention on Human Rights. He failed in a similar attempt in 2016 and 2017, when his appeal was ultimately slapped down by the European Court of Justice.
His lawyer, Øystein Storrvik, told The Associated Press that Breivik’s mental health has suffered from additional years in solitary confinement since then, leaving him “suicidal” and dependent on antidepressants. Storrvik said he would argue for an easing of restrictions and more contact with other inmates, and that he believed 12 1/2 years in isolation was “unique” in recent European judicial history.
Storrvik told the court on Monday that Breivik had hoped he could have had some form of “human relations” when he was moved from Skien prison to a spacious two-story complex in Ringerike prison near Oslo in 2022, but that the cells had been “turned into an isolation ward.”
In 2012, Breivik was convicted of mass murder and terrorism for a bombing that killed eight people in the government block in Oslo, and a shooting massacre on Utøya island where he gunned down 69 people at a holiday camp for youth activists from the center-left Labor Party.
Breivik, who described himself during the trial as an anti-Muslim crusader, pleaded not guilty, claiming he was acting in self defense to protect Norway from multiculturalism.
He received Norway’s most severe sentence at the time: detention for 21 years, with a provision to hold him indefinitely if he is still considered dangerous.
“It is no exaggeration to say that if the court does not put its foot down, then he will be sentenced to life in prison and will never be able to relate to other people,” Storrvik told the court Monday, according to Norwegian news agency NTB.
Breivik entered the makeshift courtroom in the gymnasium of Ringerike prison wearing a dark suit and tie, flanked by Storrvik. He did not flash a Nazi salute as he has done in court appearances in the past.
The government rejects Breivik’s claim that his prison conditions violate human rights.
A number of relaxations have been made in the restrictions Breivik is subject to, according to government lawyer Andreas Hjetland, who represents the Justice Ministry in the case, but the conditions are necessary for security.
Breivik has so far shown himself to be unreceptive to rehabilitative work according to a written statement from Hjetland to the court ahead of the trial, which is scheduled to end on Friday.
veryGood! (2779)
Related
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Why preseason struggles should serve as wake-up call for Chargers' Jim Harbaugh
- Public defender’s offices are opening across Maine. The next step: staffing them.
- Ryan Reynolds Shares How Deadpool & Wolverine Honors Costar Rob Delaney's Late Son Henry
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Ernesto gains strength over open Atlantic. Unrelated downpours in Connecticut lead to rescues
- Why Ryan Reynolds 'kicked' himself for delayed 'Deadpool' tribute to Rob Delaney's son
- The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City Cast Is More Divided Than Ever in Explosive Season 5 Trailer
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Disney dropping bid to have allergy-death lawsuit tossed because plaintiff signed up for Disney+
Ranking
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- D.C. councilman charged with bribery in scheme to extend $5.2 million in city contracts
- Bama Rush: Recruits celebrate sorority fanfare with 2024 Bid Day reveals
- Wildfire that burned 15 structures near Arizona town was caused by railroad work, investigators say
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Lainey Wilson’s career felt like a ‘Whirlwind.’ On her new album, she makes sense of life and love
- One dead and six missing after a luxury superyacht sailboat sinks in a storm off Sicily
- Las Vegas hospitality workers at Venetian reach tentative deal on first-ever union contract
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Suspect in shooting outside a Kentucky courthouse has died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound
Truth Social parent company stock prices fall to new low after public trading debut
PHOTO COLLECTION: DNC Protests
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
King Charles visits victims of stabbing at Southport Taylor Swift-themed dance class
Georgia sheriff’s deputy shot while serving a search warrant
PHOTO COLLECTION: DNC Preparations